Why 37days?

Tuesday reads 1-15-13

This week, I’m reading Half of a Yellow Sun by Nigerian author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. The novel takes place in Nigeria during the Nigerian-Biafran War in 1967-1970 and shows the effect of the war through the dynamic relationships of four people’s lives. It makes me want to read other works by Nigerian writers, like Chris Abani’s Graceland about a shantytown Elvis impersonator, called by the NY Times one of the most astonishing metropolitan novels of our time.

Because of our new “unschooling” journey with Tess, I am diving into books about unschooling, like Sandra Dodd’s Big Book of Unschooling and Parenting a Free Child: The Unschooled Life by Rue Kream. I can see that after a lifetime in classrooms, John and I have our own “de-schooling” work to do. And I can see that unschooling is not just about learning by living–but about recognizing how much of our interaction with our children is based on a power differential. I am opening up space for a different kind of relationship.

Tess and I are halfway through Keeper, which we started last week. I read aloud about 30 minutes a night to Tess as she settles in for sleep–and we can tell we like this book a lot because we’re going up to bed early to hear more of it each night. As a treat, I’ve ordered another of this author’s books, The Underneath, for our next bedtime book.

I am also reading Uhura’s Song, a Star Trek book given to me by my friend, Jeff.

What are you reading?

Comments
mpkemk@frontiernet.net says:

I’m reading Lion of Babylon by Davis Bunn. It’s an action novel about Iraq after we started to pull out.

I’m reading Fragile Acts by Allan Peterson, lovely poetry, and I’m so excited to start Into Great Silence: A Memoir of Discovery and Loss among Vanishing Orcas by an amazing Alaskan author Eva Saulitis!

Susie Surtees says:

“There’s No Long Distance Now”, Naomi Shihab Nye, “American Vulgar: The Politics of Manipulation Versus the Culture of Awareness”, Robert Grudin, “Tiger in the Grass” Harriet Doerr, and because I’m a 37 days book club member, “Half of a Yellow Sun”
As for deschooling, I remember being turned around by reading Ivan Illich’s 1971 “Deschooling Society” in my 1975 Graduate Diploma of Education – maybe it’s worth a look for you Patti? http://www.amazon.com/Deschooling-Society-Open-Forum-Illich/product-reviews/0714508799/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Connie Knapp says:

Just finished Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese-and of course I’ll be starting Half a Yellow Sun next :)

mj says:

Rereading: Narnia series, having finished ” The Magician’s Nephew” starting
“The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe” because having read them as a child, I remember being told that adults read them, at the mid-way point of my life, I figured it was time and I can endorse that there is a new richness in them.

Patti Digh says:

I love re-reading books at different points in my life!

anndeo says:

Wild by Cheryl Strayed, Getting to Maybe and Till the Killing is Done by TC Boyle.

Patti Digh says:

I loved a book by TC Boyle a few years ago – “The Tortilla Curtain” – have you read it?

anndeo says:

Yes, “The Tortilla Curtain” was certainly an example of issues that are wrought with complexity.

view previous posts in the blog archive