Why 37days?

On August 16, 2012, I am turning 53 years old. That is very soon. Two sleeps from now.

My father was 53 years old when he died.

Emma is now the age I was when my father died.

I have always wondered about this birthday, about surpassing him in age. And recently I wondered how many days he lived past his 53rd birthday.

So I counted the days.

And there were 137 of them.

Some of you might know the significance of 37days in my life. To see that number reflected again in such an important way was… well… it was meaningful.

And then I counted 137 past August 16th to see how long I would live were I to live only the same amount of time as my father.

And 137 days past August 16th brings us to December 31. New Year’s Eve. The eve of a new year, a new life.

There is something magical about all that.

It feels big to me, a marking of time, an important journey. To honor my father and his too-short life, and also to remind me that life is short. And, in truth, to help me get my life in order, to be more mindful, to clear ground, and simplify, and do all the things we put off but need doing.

And so I’m embarking on this journey. Come, be a pilgrim with me. It will be a simple path, one in community with others who want to love well, live fully, let go deeply, and make a difference.

I am celebrating this birthday with John at the UNC Cancer Hospital in Chapel Hill, as we begin his journey – and I’m starting this Project 137 journey from there. There is something beautifully ironic about that.

Our path:

Every day for 137 days, you’ll receive an email with an inspiration, a question, an “assignment,” or a happy.

You’ll be asked to examine, in various ways, what needs doing in your life. And then, without the amount of reflection that simply paralyzes you, to act on those things, to do them. As if time were running short, which it is, of course.

Special guests from 3x3x365 and elsewhere may join us at various times during these 137 days.

This isn’t a class, but a project, and a gathering. It is an experiment in community.

Together we will create greater, deeper meaning in our lives. We will live like we are dying in order to fully live. And we’ll do it together.

In addition to our online gathering spot where you’ll receive your “assignments,” we’ll also have a Facebook group for conversation and community.

Hell, who knows what we’ll do. It will be big and luscious and grounding. You will engage at the level you can–and that will change for all of us in the course of 137 days. Some days, you will simply read the quote for the day and that will be enough. Other days, you’ll clear space in your house and life. Some days you’ll be asked to create closure in open-ended things in your life.

I hope you’ll join in.

Give what you can and feel called to give. Whatever feels right to you. Everything you give will be used for John’s medical expenses.

I hope to see you there on August 16th.

You can register here.

What would you do if you only had 137 days to live? Leave a note in the comments and let’s learn from each other.

Love,

Patti's signature

Comments

if i knew i only had 137 days left to live, i hope i would be able to finally let go of my imagined control and just live and enjoy my life. i would take my Mom on the trip we have talked about taking for years and somehow never gotten around to taking, just the two of us. and also go back to New Mexico and try to touch the stars one last time. i miss that endless sky so.

Patti Pruhs says:

I would fulfill my dream of going to France with my loved ones. We would eat, drink, shop, visit Paris, the countryside and laugh. I would tell them stories of my life and let each one know how much I loved them. I would hide notes and gifts for them to find when I was gone. Most of all, I would enjoy myself to the fullest and let my kindness overflow.

LMA9 says:

I’m a day late, and many dollars shorter than I’d like to be. I, too, am a member of the August Club — turn 46 one week from today. This is my gift to me. It’s the tiny spark I can contribute to Team Brilliant: together, we’ll be a bonfire.

i don’t know. and that’s why i’m going to join up.

QuinnCreative says:

You are brave and optimistic. What a wonderful combination! I turn to you for that strength as a guidepost. Had I 137 days left, I would live my life as I do now. Fortunate enough to have my own business, blessed to be married to a man with a sense of humor, and bold enough to be writing my second book despite the doubts, I would continue as I am. My life is difficult in many ways, there are nights I lie awake breathing carefully, hoping that dawn will help me stay on track, able to work. There are no guarantees for an unencumbered life, and we are not guaranteed happiness, just the pursuit of happiness. That’s a wonderful thing.

Mira Desai says:

My prayers. I know in my bones you will find a way.
If I had only this time, I’d trek in the himalayas.

Roy says:

Each day I would forgive myself for the things I did not get done and try to remember to express my gratitude for the people and events of that day.

Luby says:

I will pause and see the beauty and blessing in the ordinary, a sunset, water, trees, air I breathe, so many more. Sit and watch cartoons and eat Lucky Charms with my 7 year old daughter. Smile to anyone I pass. Pursue peace with what I cannot change and to walk with my heart.

mj says:

Today, I wish you joy, big and small, to fill this very special day: your birthday. Best wishes to you, and all you love.

Skye Kooyman says:

Patti, I only know you through the grapevine. I’ve seen your kickstarter campaign and now this… I just want you to know (although it’s pretty clear that you already do) that you’re freaking AWESOME. Yep. : )

Happy Birthday! I turned 53 in March. I’ve been enjoying your books, so much! My parents are in their 70′s and I had to push my mom in a wheelchair at WalMart the other day for the first time (she has MS) and it really got to me. I think this will be a great project for many people who are dealing with many issues. God bless you and yours!

Happy birthday. I hope the 137 project gives you, your husband and all the participants what they need at this moment in time. If I had 137 days to live, I’d travel the world spending time with the people I love. I honor you and your journey. Blessings.

Grace says:

Thanks for this post, Patti. Eight months ago I was diagnosed with an unruptured brain aneurysm in pretty much the way John’s cancer was diagnosed. I went in to be checked for something totally different and got the most devastating diagnosis of my life. Thankfully, I had surgery to take care of the aneurysm and recuperated quickly. What I told myself then was that I would live life more fully after that wake-up call. Problem is, I am not so sure that I am living up to that promise. So, seeing this post today was right on time for me and, I suspect, many others. Count me in.

Wishing you a very happy birthday!!

Warmest regards,
Grace

Stephanie says:

Wow Patty, you are amazing. What a journey, and there are no coincidences. I have been thinking of you and John all week, and I wish you both unlimited blessings. It is a great question… the first thing I would do is buy a ticket to Australia, a place I’ve always wanted to visit… and one for the Siberian Express too… I’d take my daughters out of school and travel with my family as much as possible to see and experience this beautiful planet of ours. Thank you for sharing, you give us all confidence and hope. Hugs from Berlin! xo

wendy says:

This post really resonates with me. My dad died when he was 49 and I will be 49 in October and haven’t stopped thinking about it. I love the idea of honoring my dad (and yours) this way.

Ekta Gupta says:

Dear Patti, My heart goes for you. I am 28 yrs old and my list would sound funny to you. But here it goes:

Travel the world with momRest of the days spend my time with grandparents and
cousins.Meet all friends and foes. Ask for forgivenessChocolates will be my every mealSpend my nights watching the sky and counting stars.Meet Tom Hiddleston! My favourite actorLet go of thingsWritePray everyday

Shave my head, very annoyed with my hair loss

Learn French!
Travel the world with mom
Rest of the days spend my time with grandparents and
cousins.
Meet all friends and foes. Ask for forgiveness
Chocolates will be my every meal
Spend my nights watching the sky and counting stars.
Meet Tom Hiddleston! My favourite actor
Let go of things
Write
Pray everyday

Shave my head, very annoyed with my hair loss

Learn French!

Jane Bell Lassiter says:

Wow, did this hit home today!!! I will be turning 50 in 40 days and have just not felt like myself lately. I think this project is the perfect thing to get me out of my ‘funk’. I’m excited to partake in this project with you. Not to sound morbid… actually, it was out curosity brought on by something I read on your blog, I did an exercise last year (it had something to do with insurance morbidity tables) and I was “predicted” to live until July 15, 2044. That’s exactly 1,607 weekends from now. I’m thinking about buying a big jug and filling it with 1,607 marbles… and as each week ticks by I will remove a marble so I can “see” how much living I have left. Since reading your book “Life is a Verb” and following your blog, I’ve learned so much about not taking a single moment for granted. I’ve lost more than my fair share of friends and coworkers ages 20 – 50 yr old in the past few years, coupled with my own health scares over the years, I know tomorrow is not promised to us and we all need to “get busy living”. So thank you for thinking up this wild project… I know it is going to be an adventure. So happy to be joining you!
Also, I hope you know just how many of us are rooting for John, you and the girls. You’ve given so much to so many that it seems like just a small thing to do to support you in this project.
Let’s get busy!!!
xoxox

Diana says:

We’re at that pivotal moment in our lives when we realize we have lived more years than are ahead of us. It’s sobering, and a call to get busy. Write that novel that’s been clawing on the edges of my imagination! Go to Prague and walk her ancient streets! Visit New Zealand! Sing more Bach! Finish reading the books on my list and then start a new one! Hug my boys every single day!

I’m looking forward to this journey with you (and John). Let’s see what’s out there.

Nel says:

Thank you Patti…for being you and for the 137 days. I would learn to play the guitar, work on my meditation practice and yoga practice….and love and laugh with my family and friends….i’d keep my days a secret and cherish each one. I’d make a long gratitude list everyday and leave it for everyone to share.

I joined your Project 137 after I saw a friend of mine post the link on Facebook. It isn’t the 37 that has significance for me, but the 53 in your story. My mom died on August 14, 1989, 23 years ago, at the age of…53. Last year, my brother turned 54 and he remarked to me that he was now a year older than mom lived to be and how that was a milestone in his life. I have a handful of years yet to reach 53, but the number is always in the back of my mind.
And at some point almost every day I think to myself, “what would mom do?” My mom, Beverly Ann (Turner) Klamm, was a dynamic, vivacious, amazing woman. She was fierce and courageous all the way to the end. All these years later, I still miss her sense of humor, her guiding hand, her determination and her generosity. She will always be my hero.

Patti, you never cease to amaze me. Thank you for once again opening your heart to us through your journey.

If I heard the words, you have 137 days to live, once I could rebound from the shock of it, I would drop the pretense and live real, doing whatever I feel like — stomp in puddles, dance in the rain, sing at the top of my lungs whenever I want to (no matter who is listening), hug and kiss everyone I love as much as possible, speak my heart without fear or reservation, forget what other people think, just enjoy my life. Sad to think I don’t do many of these things already. As Amy said, why don’t we live this way anyway? Good question.

Leah J. Prewitt says:

I vividly remember my first English course in college; we studied an early Amercian writer who wrote, “I shall strive to constantly think of my own death.” At the time, I thought this was Puritan weirdo craziness. While I still think it’s a bit over the top, facing my own mortality in the form of a breast tumor and severe organ-involved lupus (SLE) made me think of my death in what I hope is a non-morbid., life aware way. I wish you and John God’s speed on the journey before you, and will give what I can to help.

Trece says:

My oldest daughter will turn 30 on August 16. I have no idea what I would do differently if I only had 137 days. Try to get some kind of system in place for my husband, daughter and son-in-love, so they’d not be so lost without me. And I would spend far more time in prayer, and in sending notes to those who need them.
I am excited to be on this journey with you. You all are always in my prayers.

Cristi Cooke says:

YAY!

Laurie says:

Just happily and hope-fully registered. The main thing I’d change if this were my last 137 days would be to be more aware, awake and appreciative. And alliterative. This feels right on track. Thanks.

If I had 137 days to live, I’d find ways to fund a long working vacation to some of my favorite cities. . . San Francisco, Paris, Venice, Rome, Cairo . . . I’d create pieces in each city . . . I’d spend my entire days working on my art and enjoying the moments in each favorite spot . . . I’d document my journey on my beloved iPhone of course . . . and spend every day saying I LOVE YOU to my partner Jhonathan, my friends, my mom . . . the world . . . Love is the law . . .

I would travel. Let go of things. Give things away. Write messages to those people in my life that inspired/supported/loved me letting them know the impact they made in my life. Paint. Write. Put my feet in water (lake, river, ocean…)everyday. Drink expensive wine. Hug more. Cry more.

Kim says:

2012 has been a transformative year for you, Patti. I’m not sure what the numbers signify but I sure can relate. My Mom died at 51 years 79 days and I knew the exact date that I had lived longer than her. It was August 20, 2007. It sure made me think about life and how I wanted to live my remaining days. It also made me realize how very young my mother was. I wish you and your family the very best.

If I only had 137 days left to live, I would spend time with all of the people that I love and let them know what they mean to me. And, I would definitely take some time at the ocean.

Jenn Forgie says:

OH YES. IN IN IN IN!

Maria Szucs says:

August 16th would have been my aunt’s 70th birthday. She left this world much too soon, at 56.
What would I do with 137 days to live? My first thought was that I couldn’t even get my house in order in such a short time, far less do more important things. I need this project! Thank you, and may your journey be richly blessed.

Karen says:

I am 8 years older than my mother was when she died. I remember well the year I turned the age she was when she died. (i was 20.) If I only had 137 days left I would spend as much time as I could with my two kids, and plan a mega vacation with all of us together in one of the places on my bucket list.

Annie says:

I’m on the other side of this. Six years ago when I was 53, I came very close to dying. Six weeks in a medically-induced coma on a ventilator. Learning to walk again, and so much more. I have not recovered fully, I live with chronic illness. But I live with the ecstatic gratitude of someone who has already died and come back to life. It amazes me how awake I am to being alive. Chronic illness limits my possibilities and also simplifies things. It’s not easy, but it is so much slower and more deliberate than before. Just one thing, literally, at a time. Present, intentional, quiet. I was leaving a meeting of my dream work group on Sunday when someone said, “Back into the fray.” And I realized there is no fray for me to go back into. No role, no fixed identity, no rush. These are the things I see so clearly as sources of suffering in the lives of healthy people around me. Of course not everyone can retire from life in the ways I have had to, and certainly our own minds can become another kind of ‘fray.’ But slowness and slipping off the many ego costumes we wear is important and radical and sane. Try living like you’ve already died.

becky says:

If I only had 137 days…I would create more art and make sure that each person in my life would get a piece to remember me. I have realized, we don’t know how long we will be here, so starting on this journey I will start creating art with this number in mind, why wait till you know you only have 137 days. I’ll start now to share my love of art and leave a little of me to be remembered. Thank you for opening up my heart n mind. May many blessings be with you and your family.

Patricia Barnes says:

Patti, I am one of your tribe who lives in Chapel Hill. You don’t know me, but we have hugged on the two occasions that you read from new books in Raleigh with Cynthia at Ornamentea (and you have a picture of us together!). I am about 10-15 minutes from UNC hospital and it would be an honor to help you in any way that I can. I can taxi you, run errands….I am at your service for whatever you need while you are here now and any future visits. Email me at bunnycottage@aim.com and I’ll give you my phone number.
I am holding you and your family with love in my heart. Patricia

…I would sell my house and take that money and travel and enjoy my friends and drink and laugh and smile that I have things to be joyful for and try and not count the days…

in 137 days i would hug those I love and want to touch as I leave the earthly life 1370 times or more …really nothing else would matter

Deborah French says:

my words would be kinder, my touch more gentle. I would dance more often, play my music a little louder. I would get that piercing that I feel too old for, I would hurry up and finish that book thats written in only my mind, I would volunteer my time to a cause that I’m fond of…. I would tell my daughters to work less and play more…..as I look at this list I realize….I can start now!!

Erin says:

137 days….. I’d need to pack a lot of poetry in there, walks in the woods and on the beach, love-making with my partner, a short trip to Ireland, lots of phone calls to the people I love… and poetry, poetry, poetry. I would try to give everything I have so that when my time is up, I’ve held nothing back.

And Patti – you are my hero. I’d follow you anywhere.

Laurensusanne says:

My heart goes out to you and your family. I will pay what I can and join the 137 day journey. If I had 137 days left, I would spend much time with my young adult son and I would continue my creative work to the best of my ability. I would deepen my spiritual path and spend time every day outside enjoying the natural world in all its facets. I am going through a difficult “trial reconciliation” with my husband so I really need this project. Love, strength and courage to you and yours.

Marie B says:

There is a song out now that helps motivate whatever it is you have to do. It’s called “Let’s Go”..”..it’s not about what you’ve done it’s about what you’re doin…..it’s not about where you’ve been, it’s about where you’re goin”…. So let’s go! For the next 137 days!

Jenni says:

If I had 137 days to live, I would strive to be a better person (and by person, I mostly mean parent). Currently I stay home with my kids, but also teach on the side. I can’t wait to start this journey, to see how it will improve both of my careers. Thanks for the invitation, Patti!

Tina S says:

I learned this morning that a friend from my youth had committed suicide. He had a psychotic episode due to a hormonal disorder and was literally outside himself. A kinder soul could never be found and this earth is poorer now that he has gone. As I journey on I find my life to be a more sorrowful place as one by one those I love leave me for what is beyond. We live and we die. We have a single moment with which to love. The moments string together like pearls, luminous and glowing in their chosen place, and such is a life made. The moments trail behind, never forgotten, always softly shining.
I cannot fathom knowing that I had but 137 days here on this good earth but my goal would be to love freely and completely every soul that flitted into the strand of my life. To bring a smile to the face of a fellow sojourner, to give the invisible a sense of worth, to laugh and love and feel…those things would be well worth my 137 days. They would be full of being human. I expect my days to be bubbling over with the joy of being a child of God no matter how many or few remain, no matter how bittersweet the moments.

Melissa says:

137 Days to live? I would quit my job, pack my bags, and hop on the next plan leaving the airport destination unknown. I would go to all the places I dream about. I would come back home on day 130, spend the last seven days with my family and friends laughing my butt off and enjoying them. During the last hour I would listen to my “Last Hour of My Life” playlist as I drift quietly off into the unknown.

mj says:

Since receiving a phone call, 21 years ago, on a most gorgeous, perfect, summer day, that my 21 year old, only sibling, had died in a single vehicle car accident, I have tried desperately to live my life as though today is all that I have. This has put a lot of pressure on me and I do have days and relationships that go sour sometimes, and I have to confront how imperfect life is, but I try everyday to live fully, without any regret. And, sometimes fully, without regret, means to stay home, quietly, alone and enjoy my own company. :)

Brandie Sellers says:

I’m doing what I would do with my 137 days. Going through all this cancer crap in the last year-and-a-half drove home the fact that I don’t want to spend my precious human life doing unimportant things. Which doesn’t mean I don’t do dishes – I enjoy cooking and eating, so dishes must be done as a part of that. But I spend time with people who lift me up, I seek joy and wonder, and I hug my children as much as they will let me. And I keep my life as uncomplicated as possible.

Laurensusanne says:

Spending time with people who lift me up – that really resonated with me. Thanks for the reminder.

Jean says:

I want to say that I would do exactly what I’m doing now, but that would be settling for what is. So, if this is my last 137 days starting on Thursday, I will be working with a group of people to explore that which is important and simple and wild and precious. Thank you for that. If it is not my last 137 days, then I will get to do it all over again until I get it right.

Heather says:

I would put down old grudges and pick up the phone. I would sit and think less so that I could explore and see more. I would hug friends, write love letters to family, send thank you notes to those who have made my life such a rich experience. In short, all the things you’ve been teaching me to do for the years that I’ve known you. Thank you, Patti. I look forward to spending the next 137 days with you and this community!

Tom Harrington says:

What would I do if I had 137 days to live? I know what I would want to do, but it’s irrelevant because I couldn’t do much except what I am doing now. I take care of my wife of almost 40 years, who suffers from fibromyalgia, two kinds of arthritis, diabetes, hypertension and COPD; and I take care of my 36 year old schizophrenic son who has to live with us; and I try when I can to help my 34 year old daughter who suffers from cart-before-the-horse syndrome (you know – like moving to a new city with no money before she has so much as a job interview scheduled). And, what I have been learning from you, Patti – trying to help others with their needs as I am able. And me? Your work has helped me maintain my sanity. Other than trying to get my family set up for the long term, I have no idea what else I could do. But I’m with you, John, Emma and Tess on your journey. “Journey.” What a strange way to put it.

spb says:

137 days left…hmmmmmm….it the reason why I am signing up…need to focus on whats most important, because I don’t have kids and a relatively small family and we are relatively close I am going to be completely honest and say I have no earthly idea except that I would want to find some legacy to leave so I don’t just become dust in the wind, a mist, a mere breath in time..

Paula says:

I’d spend time with R travelling and taking images of us together and loving him as deeply as possible.

Colleen Bess says:

If i had only 137 Days left to live, I would visit family and friends knowing I was actually saying good bye. Of course I would not tell them how many days I had left. That way we could laugh and love and enjoy all the precious time together. Instead of everyone worrying about the end of my life. What a blessing to know exactly when the end would comeleaving nothing undone.

if I had 137 days left, I’d make 137 paintings, play 137 Chopin compositions on the piano, say “I love you” at least 137 times, eat 137 bowls of Conossieur Cafe Grande icecream, throw my scales 137 metres from the window, take 137 walks with my dogs, hug my family 137 times (x10) and write 137 pages (at least) from my heart to the world.

Thank you Patti for sharing yourself at a time where many people would probably try to conserve energy and keep it for themselves and their own survival. Your generosity and expansive heart inspire me all to be all I can be… and remind me of the real essence of being human. Sending lots of love to you across the miles.

OceanPrincess says:

137 days to dance and write and love.

Susan says:

I am registered and so looking forward to being a part of Project 137.

Jeanne says:

First I must say that I am sending healing thoughts and I am in. Aug 31st to June 2nd is 275 days – twice 137. On June 2nd I will be 50. 137 days would be spend with my family, my pets and soaking in as much beauty and joy…knowing I would want more.

Mary says:

This was a powerful post for me. On August 16th, I will turn 63 — 10 years older than you. Perhaps 10 years closer than you to the end of my life. We don’t know anything for sure. My husband has also been diagnosed with cancer. He is, however, choosing no treatment and I have learned to live with that decision. This sounds as if your new endeavor is something I need. I will check it out more closely and most likely join you. Wishing us both a year of practicing presence with what is.

Kate Bacon says:

I’m IN! I would do my best to be mindful in each and every moment…x

OceanPrincess says:

Nancy says:

Sunday i attended the funeral of a childhood friend. Monday she would have turned 64. She had been diagnosed on Christmas Eve with cancer. My husband was diagnosed with a rare blood disorder 20 months ago and our journey has been lonely so far as his disease is so rare. So I am embarking on this journey with you and John in honor of my friend’s passing, in gratitude for the healing we are experiencing with my husband and to have support for the time ahead. Let’s go forward with strength.

Amy F says:

OMG, this is a very moving and poignant post on so many levels. i was initially drawn to your blog because of the story of your father’s early death and the parallels between our lives. My father died very suddenly and unexpectedly at the age of 49 and 104 days, when I was 19 and in college. I approached my own 49th birthday with both trepidation and wonder (at how very young indeed he was), also counting out how many days that he lived after that 49th birthday. I also counted 104 days after my own 49th birthday, reflecting on my own life…It was a birthday that had loomed largely for all those years. I’m glad that his early death and that auspicious birthday in my own life, as in yours, has always made me very mindful of living life to the fullest and in the moment, and have always worked hard to do that. Easier said than done, of course. I have so enjoyed Life is a Verb and 37 days and hope to join you on this journey. Thank you so much for sharing your talents and observations — and so much else — with all of us. You, John, Emma and Tess are all in my thoughts and prayers. If I only had 137 days to live, I would reflect, give thanks, and do my best to savor and love everyone I came in contact with, more than ever.

macymom says:

I will also be 53 in (37+2) days from our first gathering. Im intrigued. IM in.

Kim Mailhot says:

If i had 137 Days left to live, I would spend that precious time loving and laughing as much as possble with my loved ones. I would spend time by the ocean, the place that gives my soul such peace. I would create things of beauty, using that incredible creative energy that flows through me when I abandon myself to the process. And I would marvel everyday at the fact that I am granted another day to do so. And at the end of my 137 days, my only regret would be that I cannot have another 137 days to do more of the same with those same folks I love so much.
I love you, Patti Digh. Thank you from for this strong offering and for bring us together this way.

Ross says:

Kim, that is simply beautiful. So glad to be sharing this journey with you. Everyone needs a rock fairy in their life to learn from
?

I think I might do what I do now, but stop worrying whether it was the right thing to do or not. What a liberation that would be! Maybe I’ll practice not worrying with you over the next 137 days :-)

robinvk says:

Patti, my mother died at 53 (when I was 23). For 30 years I held my breath waiting for 53. To my delight, ( and a lot of cursing at myself for the time wasted worrying about pending doom) 53 came and went. I survived. It took me all that time to realize her fate was not mine. I am days away from 55. Onward and upward!
If I had 137 days to live, I’d try each day (many times throughout the day, I am sure) to.be.here.now.

Martha Carnahan says:

I’m SO there! Just signed up!

What you are saying has great significance to me, on behalf of my mother. On her 68th birthday, she and my father were traveling, so I didn’t send a card on time because I figured I had a few “buffer” days until she returned home. Well, this was back in the day of no cell phones (for most people), and I couldn’t reach her at her hotel. So this was the first-ever time I missed wishing my mom a happy birthday ON her day. And, unbeknownst to me, it turned out to be a VERY big one for her — both of her parents had died at age 68. She, like you, had been looking toward this milestone birthday with lots of feelings, anticipation, wonder. I felt terrible that I didn’t know — and worse, didn’t even acknowledge her on that very day. She is now 83, has recently recovered from a life-threatening illness that knocked her out for 4 months, and is going gangbusters, living large! But I now treat every birthday, every conversation as extra special… because time indeed runs out. It’s time I look at my own life in that same way.

Amen to what you are up to, Patti!

Deb says:

Living with fibromyalgia and some auto immune diseases has made it very clear to me to live in the moment. Some days I can’t get out of bed so I meditate, read, breathe and luxuriate in the moment .That’s always all we have but don’t realize it. and it is very BIG and I am grateful.

Raven says:

My sister is also going in on the 16th to find out the next step for her uterine cancer. Probably a hysterectomy at 28. We’re all incredibly grateful that it’s not worse, but feeling that impending closing of a door hurts. I really feel that reminder of our mortality and the wonder of each moment we do have. So, I’m in and so grateful for the opportunity to savor these 137 days with this community. I plan to share it with her as much as she’s interested. Thank you, Patti, for all that you do and are doing. Love is so much stronger than Spot.

Judy says:

I do want to join you! I need a gathering…and community. And I would love to help. As soon as I come up with extra money, I’m registering. (I turn 39 in 17 sleeps and I have a lot of big things to examine in my life right now!)

Amy Mcvaugh says:

If I had but 137 days left to live, I would embrace my loved ones constantly and tell them how much I love having them as a part of my life. I would run through the grass not caring if my feet got “yucky”. Funny thing is, when you really, really think about it, why don’t we live this way anyway?

disqus_KORh6olmXn says:

If I had 137 days to live, I would not think about money. I would spend what needed spending and do what needed doing. I would spend time, long chunks of time, with my children. I would go to the ocean to say goodbye and express my gratitude for the ‘place-that-loved-me’ my whole life. And I would take photos and paint images of things I wanted to share. And I would tell everyone … please do not be sad for I will always be where anyone can talk to me, listen to me, be with me. It’s a closed atmosphere, this earth world … where would I go?

Beautiful! Loved your 37 days and look forward to this :) Huge hugs and loves to you and John as you embark on this journey.

view previous posts in the blog archive