Why 37days?

QuestionMark "And now let us welcome the New Year full of things that have never been." -Rainer Maria Rilke

May we learn to love the questions themselves, as Rilke also reminds us:

"Have patience with everything that remains unsolved in your heart. Try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books written in a foreign language. Do not now look for the answers. They cannot now be given to you because you could not live them. It is a question of experiencing everything. At present you need to live the question. Perhaps you will gradually, without even noticing it, find yourself experiencing the answer, some distant day." – from his Letters to a Young Poet

Comments
Anitha says:

Happy New Year Patti!!! That was a wonderful quote on questions of life.

I missed out on your blog for a long time. Very glad to catch up again!!

Cheers,
Anitha

janet says:

Love it. My new year’s resolution is to live in the present moment — which given my vivid imagination and strong escapist tendencies is going to be very hard to do.

John Ptak says:

Thanks for this from Rainer. Questions *are* important; answers are overrated (unless you let them lead to other questions).

Carolynn says:

Very timely post for me on this, the first of a New Year. I find myself very filled with questions and unsure of what direction to move in. Someone once said to me “It’s okay to be in the struggle.” I believe it’s the same sentiment. I’ll relax and let the Universe lead me on to more peaceful places.

All the best to you in this New Year!

honeybee says:

This is the perfect quote for me as I am in the midst of trying to find the “answers”. Thank you for reminding that living with the questions is the first order of business.

Happy New Year!!

Melissa

frances says:

my absolute favorite Rilke quote. thanks for the reminder. happy new year!

Amanda says:

What a wonderful way to start this new year…Rilke and Oliver…I’m headed for David Whyte’s Poems of Self Compassion that reminds us to have patience with ourselves, with our own coming and going. Happy New Year!

Becky says:

I just blogged today about reminiscing about the last year and looking forward to the next year. Part of my blog was about what will greet us in the new year and to expect the unexpected!

Frivolitea says:

I like that. It reminds me of Mary Oliver’s poem, “First Snow.”

The snow

began here

this morning and all day

continued, its white

rhetoric everywhere

calling us back to why, how,

whence such beauty and what

the meaning; such

an oracular fever! flowing

past windows, an energy it seemed

would never ebb, never settle

less than lovely! and only now,

deep into night,

it has finally ended.

The silence

is immense,

and the heavens still hold

a million candles; nowhere

the familiar things;

stars, the moon,

the darkness we expect

and nightly turn from. Trees

glitter like castles

of ribbons, the broad fields

smolder with light, a passing

creekbed lies

heaped with shining hills;

and though the questions

that have assailed us all day

remain — not a single

answer has been found –

walking out now

into the silence and the light

under the trees,

and through the fields,

feels like one.

view previous posts in the blog archive